The FIFA World Cup tournament is unarguably one of the most prestigious and most watched sports events in the world today, which is been contested by senior men’s international football teams every four years.
However, at the end of every FIFA World Cup tournament, players, coaches, and teams who happens to perform the best in the tournament usually received awards and trophies.
The FIFA World Cup Golden Boot award was previously recognized mainly as the golden shoe award and was first awarded in the year 1982 by FIFA to the top goal scorer of the FIFA World Cup. Though it was later rechristened the Golden Boot in 2010, several football legends have succeeded in winning this great award.
Therefore, in line with this article, we are going to be looking at the winners of the golden boot award since the year 1982. So kindly stay tuned till the end to find out for yourselves.
1. Paolo Rossi became the first player to win the title in the year 1982 with just six goals.
2. Gary Lineker also succeeded in winning the award in the year 1986 with six goals.
3. Salvatore Schillaci also won the award in the year 1990 with six goals.
4. O. Salenko and H. Stoichkov went on to become duo winners of the award in the 1994 FIFA World Cup with six goals.
5. Davor Suker also won the award in the year 1998 with six goals.
6. Ronaldo Nazario also won the award in the year 2002 with a total of eight goals which he scored.
7. Miroslav also succeeded in winning the award in the year 2006 by scoring a total of five goals.
8. Thomas Muller also won the award in the year 2010 with a total of five goals.
9. James Rodriguez also won the award in the year 2014 with a total of six goals.
10. Harry Kane is the most recent winner of the FIFA World Cup Golden Boot award as he succeeded in winning the award in the 2018 FIFA World Cup, with a total of six goals in which he scored at the time.